Friday, September 12, 2008

Difibrillators are they really worth it?


Difibrillators were first introduced into the scean, in 1985, and there were called an "emergency room in your chest." But what was failed to be mentioned, was they are not a solution. The artical I got off the New York Times, tells about the falling numbers and all of the people that are decling getting these merical devices. What alot of people are finding, is that there is a great risk in getting these, ranging from infection to them not working correctly. Also, they are not made to "save your life" so to speak. They are there just to help you, so you can get help. And if that doesn't stop you, the price might, averaging $50,000. In my opinion, i would recomend them, beacuse if done right and taken care of, there will be no chance for the infection to arise. My grandmother for instance, has one, and it has saved her life I can't tell you how many times. And when I say saved her life, it gave her time or someone in here building to call the ambulinse for her. So I guess what i am trying to say, is if one is needed, go do it. There are Doctors out there that know what they are doing, and how to prevent the infection, and to put them in correctly. Because that extra "jolt" that they give off to restart your heart so you have time to get help, can mean the difference between life and death. I would get one if i needed one. I urge you all to read this artical.

I would enjoy all of your feedback, and your views on this subject. Thank you.

(enclosed is a picture taken off the NY Times site taken by Peter Dasilva, and it is a picture of a Difibrillator.)

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I think you chose a very interesting topic, as we all know the medical discoveries today change so quickly it's hard to keep up sometimes. In regards to the implanted defibs, I think the use of them is just as risky as the use of prescription drugs, quite honestly. I mean, you turn on the television today and you're bound to see a commercial for some drug, with a long list of side-effects said really quickly by some television commercial man. Of course there will be benefits as well as drawbacks. There is for basically everything created by man. On one hand, if a patient is likely to go into cardiac arrest then the implanted defib might be to his benefit, and could potentially save his life. On the other hand, if, say, you have an abnormal heart-beat or something. The defib might get confused, think you're going into cardiac arrest when you're not, and shock you. There's really endless situations about this, and I'm not really too smart on medical terminology or anything (which is why I'm not a nursing student, haha) but I really think it would depend on your situation if you wanted to invest time and money into this device or pass it up. I really think the media and the doctors that know their stuff should hold seminars on this type of thing. There are so many risks involved, as well as benefits, but there's no way anyone could completely understand this and make a full decision on whether it's worth or not worth their time unless they're given all the information about it. I mean, in my opinion anyway.